Article Rating

Rating: 0 ( 0 total votes )

Article Information

Created by: MikeT
On: Jun 19 2009, 06:15 PM

Views: 3090

Ham Recipies
Discussion Topic: Knowledge Base: Ham Recipies
This article has been viewed 3090 times.
So I have seen many different recipes for ham on the Internet. The simplest I have found seems to use common household spices. All the recipes I have seen suggest working with reasonable sizes of meat that are fully bled out and cooled until the water is no longer red. It is also a good plan to de-bone the meat because bacteria tends to grow in the joints.
Cooled and de-boned meat takes the cure best. Do not freeze before curing because the ham will not take the cure as well because the muscle is altered in the freeze.

Be sure to add your recipes for ham.

Here is the simple one I found:

I experimented with a fat sow i shot last weekend. I Cleaned her and butchered her. I got the flanks, ,De-boned hams, and the shoulders and soaked them in Brine. In this brine there was :
A little Salt Maybe a cup
A little Sugar Maybe 1/2 cup
A little Brown Sugar 1/2 cup
1/4 cup of Worcester sauce
6 ounces of liquid smoke (pecan )
a bit of cinnamon
Black pepper to taste
2 gallons of cool water.
I soaked the meat in this solution for about a week in the fridge , at 33 -34 degrees. Still it , or mix it every day, keeping all of the meat under the brine. After a week, dump the brine and rinse the meat. Dry it and freeze it . This made the very best Bacon and Ham you have ever dreamt about.!! No kidding give it a shot.
Print Article

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 12:37 PM