TURKEY HUNTING, TURKEY WITH BONUS HOG
oldmandekle
post Mar 20 2017, 09:21 PM
Post #1

TNO Regular
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,738

I had a great day hunting with my best hunting buddy, my son Chris. Talk about being blessed , I surely was and am. We started out at zero dark thirty setting set up to bust old Tom when he came to see us. That stupid bird gobbled several times then went silent. We fooled him, Chris called once more the he shut up. We felt that the bird would come in , we just didn't know when. After a short ice age and me almost taking a boredom nap. There he was. He was actually too close to shoot , I'm talking 10 feet from our blind. I had to give him a few steps before laying the smack down on him. Chris could have easily killed that bird but the bird came in on my side right under my nose] and Chris let me tag him. We were pumped. This uis as nice as the come , one of if not THE best birds I have taken, That rascal had hooks that were sharp as daggers and a beard 11 1/2 inches long. AND he was heavy He tipped in at a smidge over 22 lbs. I am still stoked over this one . Then a trip home to let the kids see him , a few more pics and Chris got the knife working . Fried Turkey nuggets later this week. As usual the honey do list had to be addressed and a bite of food and by that time it was getting late. Chris called to tell me to get ready to go back and I almost didn't do it . Then my hunting fever flared up and off we went. The plan was for us to split up and cover more area. I was in a hot spot of hog activity but we only had pictures . They were coming out just at the shank of dark, except tonight. This old boy got frisky and showed up early for the rooting party and I gave him a dose of 30cal 150 grain that put him down in his tracks. No trailing that one , he spun around , kicked a few times and lay still Yeee ha ! Sausage in the road. . Chris came to pick me up and he stopped were the hog was laying then I heard BOOM ! He came on down and got me to let me "help" load him . Chris said the hog grunted at him when he got out of the truck so he blasted him a final shot to finish the job. That was a foul smelling rascal. I am glad I called the processor on this one. The man does a good job and he skins the critters too. Good for me , I did not want any part of that . But nevertheless a great day hunting with Chris , fun with the grandkids meat for the table and a humbling experience of being in GOD'S beautiful woods and getting blessed with the bounty of the hunt . I may have had better days , I just can't think of one right off the top of my head. Thanks to Chris for dragging the Oldman along ...
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Weatherby06
post Mar 20 2017, 11:40 PM
Post #2

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,077

Y'all had a great day for sure. Those were both fine critters and that Turkey is a real trophy. My kids are very little still, but they are truly my best hunting partners. You and Chris share a true bond and what a blessing to share the woods together as you do. I hope to do much the same with my kids in the coming years!!!

Congrats again!!! drinks.gif

--------------------
Why I carry a gun...I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!!

2012 BOWLIFE CHALLENGE...TEAM N.F.A. CREW!!!!
2013 TNO SMACKDOWN...TEAM CLOWN PATROL!!!!

+Quote Post
BuckWild
post Mar 21 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3

I love days like that! Congrats!

--------------------
Addicted to BOWLIFE.

I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be. I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am not what I used to be. And by the grace of God, I am what I am. ~ John Newton

+Quote Post
john from jax
post Mar 21 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #4

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 255

BIG congrats to the Dekle clan. Ya'll get it done!! as always. NICE bird.

--------------------
"LIVE AND LET LIVE"- (until it gets within 30 yards)
Bowlife challenge 2012 contestant- team wack em n stack em

+Quote Post
F.I.LetsGoFishin...
post Mar 25 2017, 12:44 PM
Post #5

TNO Regular
Group Icon

Member No.: 17,093

Way to go, Thats one nice bird and the hogs no slouch either. I got one more week to go before I can get back in the woods and look forward to spending a couple mornings with my brother chasing some toms we were able to sound of just before the season started. Really hoping to get in on the birds I saw during deer season,

--------------------
I'm like a termite, once I get in the woods you can't get me out

+Quote Post
deerkillindekle
post Apr 7 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #6

TNO Active Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,040

That was a great day

--------------------
aka the TURKNINJA
If it's out there....it needs Killin!!!
2013 TNO SMACKDOWN TEAM PHAT ASSASSINS

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2017 - 12:46 PM