First Gobbler
F.I.LetsGoFishin...
post Apr 2 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #1

TNO Regular
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,093

I have thinking for the last few years that I might one day try turkey hunting the spring gobbler season on the MA that I have deer hunted for most of my life. Last year I applied for a quota for the first time and drew an area that I was unfamiliar with and had no one to hunt with but I went and pretty much as expected, it did not end with a bird, in fact never even heard one so it went down as my first year the way I believe the way many experience it.
This year I was able to draw my stomping grounds an area I know well and have been seeing some really nice gobblers during deer season over the years.
My brother and I set out Friday morning just before day-light opting to hunt about a mile apart. It was pretty windy with gusts up to 18 mph so we thought it would be a rough slow day.
I had earlier decided on a drop that lead to old dry pond where many mornings I had heard the birds drop down from roost in December. I set up just below the crest of the hill looking down hill where I could get a good view and clear shots out to about 40 yards and started my much to be improved on attempts at calling. I got a couple replies but apparently the deer found them repulsive and from near where the gobbles came from the started complaining loud and clear. From over 100 yards away I could hear them crash through the palmettos, Blowing and crashing brush. Then all went quiet except the wind. I continued to call for 1/2 hour as best I could with the cheap little box from Walmart that came in a kit with several other items including a Glass Slate type call. Them I decided to give the slate a try. I hit it twice and was rather surprised with a reply from the far side of the old pond maybe some 200 yards away.
I continued calling for about 5 minutes before I could actually tell he was getting closer. Every time I moved the striker, he responded and in just a few minutes was coming in on the ridge behind me, Not the at all what I was expecting or wanted as my back-drop was a group of small myrtle type shrubs.
I managed to turn myself around and called one last time. he was less than 40 ft away when he sounded off and I could see him moving in at me puffed up and wings dropped to ground, his blue head kind of snaked back.
As he came around my bush I new I was going to be busted. I reached down slowly for the shotgun and got my hand around hand grip then the excitement hit me and I quickly shoulders and shot at about 20 ft. He hit the dirt fluttering for a few seconds and stopped. I sat for a minute trying to take it all in, stood up and took 5 steps thinking yea I got my first turkey when he jumped up and started running through the young pines. NO this is not happening, I thought as I was able to pump another round into the chamber and make the final shot count. He was'nt the Big birds I hads seen in January, Rtaher small but legal. 14.6 # , Left spur 3/4" Right Spur 1/2" Beard 8.75 ". These are about avreage for what has been taken this year for that area but I will complain as it is the start. I realize I have much to learn and will hopefully get drawn for more permits for this area.
Attached Image

--------------------
I'm like a termite, once I get in the woods you can't get me out
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Weatherby06
post Apr 2 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #2

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,077

Congratulations on a fine first bird!!! Now you're hooked like the rest of us I bet? Thanks for sharing as I always love to hear a great hunting story and this was an excellent read brother. Well done!!! drinks.gif drinks.gif

--------------------
Why I carry a gun...I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!!

2012 BOWLIFE CHALLENGE...TEAM N.F.A. CREW!!!!
2013 TNO SMACKDOWN...TEAM CLOWN PATROL!!!!

+Quote Post
oldmandekle
post Apr 2 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #3

TNO Regular
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,738

NICE ! Now you have been exposed to "GOBBLIN" FEVER" you are infected for life. There is no cure only yearly doses of turkey hunting will keep you from going crazy. I know you are thrilled and the rest of us share your feelings. That first gobbler leaves a life long impression.
n

+Quote Post
tinman1
post Apr 5 2017, 05:20 PM
Post #4

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 205

Congrats man, that is awesome!

--------------------
If it Ain't CRACKERIZED, It's Just Plain Ordinary!!
There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the most dominating virtues of human society, are created, strengthened and maintained.
Winston Churchill

TRUMP 2016 Team USA

+Quote Post
john from jax
post Apr 5 2017, 06:42 PM
Post #5

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 255

CONGRATS!!!!

--------------------
"LIVE AND LET LIVE"- (until it gets within 30 yards)
Bowlife challenge 2012 contestant- team wack em n stack em

+Quote Post
deerkillindekle
post Apr 7 2017, 07:36 AM
Post #6

TNO Active Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,040

Congratulations there is nothing like a tom coming in gobbling.

--------------------
aka the TURKNINJA
If it's out there....it needs Killin!!!
2013 TNO SMACKDOWN TEAM PHAT ASSASSINS

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2017 - 12:54 PM