Calling all lurkers!!!
Jamie
post Oct 16 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #21

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 167

Word got out that Bro Dave was posting top secret fishing holes on the board lol

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Weatherby06
post Oct 17 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #22

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,077

Was wondering if he turned off the GPS locator function on his phone before he took those pictures............... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Why I carry a gun...I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!!

2012 BOWLIFE CHALLENGE...TEAM N.F.A. CREW!!!!
2013 TNO SMACKDOWN...TEAM CLOWN PATROL!!!!

+Quote Post
Dabo
post Nov 9 2017, 01:31 PM
Post #23

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Group: Team Member
Member No.: 54

Greetings, Old Mates!
Haven't checked in here for a looooooong time!
great to see a few folks hangin' on!

Bro Dave! Nice pics, Brother! Like the old days! Next time you go, holler at me and I'll show you how to catch bigger fish!

Breck! Howz it hanging, little bruthuh!? You still bow hunting with that rig I gave you years back? Hope that coiffure is still stylin' and profilin'!!

Jamie! I haven't been out fishin in your "new" boat yet, have I? Knowhudduhmean, Vern!?

Tinman! Way to keep the faith and hold this thing together, bro!

Dekes and Sleepy and Slammer! Great to see y'all still hanging in there (here)!

Hope all of y'all are well!

--------------------
Far better is it to dare to do mighty things; to acheive glorious triumphs, though checkered with failure; than to join the ranks of those poor spirits who neither suffer much nor enjoy much, because they live in that great twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat...
T. Roosevelt

+Quote Post
Weatherby06
post Nov 9 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #24

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Dabo!!! Welcome back old friend!!! I say it everytime....QUIT BEING SUCH A STRANGER!!!

Although you wont see this for 6 months or ever!!! ohmy.gif

But seriously thanks for dropping a line to your old friends, I for one enjoy hearing from you.

I also saw those 2 bucks Jamie and Big Derf killed last night. Tell them to post em up here!!!

Again nice hearing from you, but would an old Dabo story be to much to ask???

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jamie
post Nov 9 2017, 03:42 PM
Post #25

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 167

Dabo you let me know boss and we'll make it happen!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dabo
post Nov 10 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #26

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Group: Team Member
Member No.: 54

Consider yourself on notice, Jamie!

Breck: Glad to oblige! Since I just got a CPAP machine, I'll give ya this story! I'll let ya know how the thing works! Big Derf swears by his!

A Snoring Story ©
By David Wright

When I was a high school football player, I intercepted a 4th down pass in the closing minutes of a game against Rutland (Vt.) High School that I should have batted down. But this being a rare moment of playing time in my sophomore year, I chose the interception, and in my attempt to return it, was pounced upon by a very large man-boy with a full beard and hair growing out of his forehead. He brought his forearm down across my Bart Starr facemask, bringing the top edge of my helmet down on the bridge of my nose with the force of impact akin to a Bruce Lee karate chop, breaking it instantly. Ever since then, I have been a snorer.

Now, I will say that I DO come from a long line of snorers, including my Mom’s father, and my Mom herself. My young nephew was once sent down the hallway while she was sleeping, and he came running back with a terrified look on his face and said, “Uncle David! There’s a giant lobster down there, and he’s mad! I heard him!”

When I was in college, I would wake up in the morning and it was not unusual to find myself under 20 books, numerous shoes, and a blender; all thrown at me in the night by my roommate in a vain attempt to stop the noise. He was a nice guy most of the time, but he always had red eyes and yawned constantly. When traveling or on overnight fishing trips with me mates, I’ve slept in my truck or on the porch so as not to keep them awake. Then the next day they are refreshed, and I have red eyes and yawn constantly. Once, I even slept on the 3rd floor hotel balcony, outside the closed sliding glass doors. When I got up to pee in the middle of the night, they had locked me out! There were a few scattered showers that night on the lower floors… I awoke in the morning, covered with the chair cushions and ash trays from the balcony above.

Anyway, as I got older, this condition worsened, resulting in my wife ultimately (after 20 years) driving me to the daybed in the computer room at the opposite end of the house to sleep. I did this for a year. Not good for the night life, I might add! So I was forced to make a decision. Do something about it! My colleague and bud, Mark Carpenter, had a surgical procedure done on this throat to stop his snoring. I inquired of the details. It seems they held his mouth open with something called a spreader, told him to hold very still, and proceeded to aim a laser beam into his mouth and burned off his tonsils and part of the back of his pallet with it! He said it hurt like somebody cutting out your tonsils and pallet with a laser beam! And it hurt for two weeks! Yikes! The daybed wasn’t looking so bad after all!

Well, I went to see the trunk doctor, and after a brief interview, he pulls out this long, black hose with a light on the end, and puts on some rubber gloves and starts smearing KY Jelly on the hose. I’ve seen something like this once before, and it wasn’t my nose that was the target! I screamed, “DOC! It’s my nose, my nose is the problem!” He laughed, and said, “That’s pretty funny! No, I’m not interested in looking where you think… You ever hear the saying, up your nose with a rubber hose? I just want to stick this hose up your nose a little ways and look around…” My grip tightened on the arms of the reclining chair I was sitting in, as my eyes began to run like I was peeling red onions, in pique anticipation of the mere thought of what he was about to do. He came at me with this serpentine instrument that made me instantly think of Fox’s Book of Martyrs, about the tortures of the Spanish Inquisition. He said, “Now, you may feel just a little discomfort for a few seconds…” DISCOMFORT? I felt like he was jamming that thing through my pituitary gland and into my medulla oblongata! Then I felt it snaking down the back of my throat where it made me gag like frat boy on homecoming night! Then after looking at my pancreas, he removed the hose, I think he gave me a free prostate exam, pushing that thing all the way through me!

Then we had a talk. He said, “Well, you have several choices, David. One is an ulvopaletopharangoplasty. That’s where we remove most of your throat with a laser beam.” I said, “No way, Jose’! What else ya got?” He said, “Your second choice is radio frequency ablation, sometimes called somnoplasty. That’s a treatment where I stick a large needle into your pallet about 5 times, each time zapping it with high frequency radio waves for about 3 minutes each. This causes internal burning of the tissues of your pallet, resulting in internal scar tissue formation which tightens your pallet, making it less likely to vibrate as you breathe.” Jeez! That didn’t sound too fun either. He said he wanted me to have a sleep study done before he did anything, to see if I had sleep apnea, which simply put, is stopping breathing while you are snoring; often for quite a few seconds, until your oxygen level drops enough to trigger your brain to make you jerk out of deep sleep before you die. He gave me the number of the sleep clinic and sent me on my way.

The Sleep Clinic
Actually, this is a misnomer of gargantuan proportion; one of those, what do they call them, oxymoron? Like jumbo shrimp? They should call it something like, The… Rip-the Hairs-Out-of-Your-Body-All-Night-Long-While-You-Try-To-Sleep Clinic. I arrived about 22:00 with my 3 pillows and my teddy bear (actually, he’s a frog) and a Florida Sportsman magazine. A guy who looks like one of the residents in One Flew Over The Coo Coo’s Nest, took me to a nice little bedroom that has a poster bed and closet and electronic bedside machines that looked like the cockpit of the space shuttle. Dude then asked me to strip to my shorts and he would be right back. I did so, and lay on the bed and started reading my magazine until he returned a half hour later. He said everything was prepared for my study, and that he had to begin attaching wires to my body with
2” X 2” pieces of what later would seem to be book binding tape! He attached two wires to my forehead, two to the corners of my eyes, two to each side of my face, and two to my throat; all with this incredibly sticky tape. He then attached 4 more wires to my scalp, using the tape and some kind of sticky jell. These were EEG electrodes. All of these were to measure (lack of) brain waves and electrical activity of my facial muscles or something. Actually, they probably measured my painful grimaces through the night! He then put some kind of band around my chest that cut into me like a rubber band around a balloon, to measure my respiration. It also had a bundle of wires coming out of it. Then he connected more wires with that tape onto both my amply hairy legs to measure my body movement throughout the night. He then clamped an oxygen sensor with an eerie red light on it onto my index finger of my left hand, which felt like the tight pinch of a clothes pin! Once he got all the wires connected and working, he showed me a camera over my bed which would allow them to watch me (try to) sleep through the night. I felt like John Glenn sitting atop the Atlas rocket, ready to blast into orbit! I asked what to do if I had to pee. He said, ”Oh yea, I almost forgot.” Then he gave me one of those pee-cup thingies they use in hospitals. He then told me I could move around as I saw fit to become comfortable, turned out the light and closed the door.

I laid there in the dark, awake as a child at 05:00 on Christmas morning. Then I thought, "What if this thing stresses me out and I wet the bed like a child in the rain? Will I be fried in an instant!?" I tried not to think about it and finally began to get drowsy. Then I made the mistake of trying to roll over! As I did, my eyes bolted open as I heard and felt the shredding, tearing sound of hundreds, yey, thousands of hair follicles being ripped out by the roots, like your mom ripping 50 band aids off you at once! It felt like having your entire body wrapped naked in duct tape, and having it all removed in an instant! It was that BLOODY tape they used to anchor their BLOODY wires! Well, needless to say, I had a fitful sleep through the night, and honestly, felt like I never entered deep sleep at all, jerking awake with pain every time I moved. They told me they would send the results to the doc after they compiled them.

Well, a week or so later, the doc calls me up and tells me I have sleep apnea, and wanted me to take a different kind of sleep study. “Oh, no!” I thought. He said that they sometimes can deal with sleep apnea without any surgical procedures at all, by using something called Continuous Positive Airway Pressure, or CPAP. Hey! Anything besides laser beams cutting out my throat!

Well, here I go again, back to the clinic, but dude was off that night, and a lovely black lady tended to me. I explained about the tape, and she said she understood, but it didn’t do any good. They hooked me up to those dozens of wires again, but in addition, THIS time I had to wear this mask on my nose and mouth as well, with a strap over and around my head holding it in place. I looked like a fighter pilot with his oxygen mask on, lying in bed. The deal is, this machine forces air down your throat at a constant pressure, hopefully keeping it open and preventing apnea events (stoppage of breathing and death!). She left me, and came back numerous times during the night to awaken me and try a different mask or to increase the air pressure. Nothing was working. The last time, she set the machine on the highest setting. Man, there was so much air blowing into my mouth with such force, I felt like I was sticking my face out of Jeff Gordon’s car in the Daytona 500, with my mouth open!

Well, the long and short of it; it didn’t work. Time for the needle! I chose the somnoplasty and went in for the procedure. I climbed into the doctor’s chair and dude comes at me with a syringe full of Novocain, with a 6” needle, with the intent of jabbing it into the back of my throat about 10 times; to numb it, of course! My fingers found those familiar depressions under the end of the chair arms that Iformed and left there last time, and I deepened them over the next 5 minutes. Man! WHY does it take so LONG to inject that stuff? I felt like a giant ant was holding me down with my mouth open and focusing that little dot of sunlight from a magnifying glass on the back of my throat until it caught fire, getting me back for all those hundreds of ants I burned up as a kid! (…and who would have thought that something designed to burn ants could also be used to magnify things!) Well anyway, it finally numbed sufficiently, and dude brings out… “The Instrument”!

I was waiting for the hideous laughter of Vincent Price as in a horror movie! It looked like a toy ray gun with a wire coming out of the bottom of the grip. Not too scary, but I made a big mistake and asked the doc to show me how it worked, and he pulled the trigger. When he did, this 1" SPIKE shot out of the tip! It was as wide as a pencil lead on those fat green pencils they gave us in first grade back in the day and only about as sharp too! He told me to hold open very wide while he jammed this ray gun deep into my mouth and touched it to the middle of my pallet and pulled the trigger. BANG! "AHHHAHH!" My eyes instantly bugged out of their sockets like in the cartoons and I screamed in a high pitched voice, "GAH DAH, MAH! THAH HUH LAH A MUHH FUHUH!" He pulled it out and said, "Uh, ‘scuse me?" I repeated myself more audibly, so he gave me more Novocain. By this time, I'm trembling and feel my fingernails ripping off as I dug them deeper into the underside of the chair arm ends. Then, BANG again. This time was better, and he then turned on the RF machine, zapping my tender tissues with radio waves for 4 ½ minutes. I was doing fine until he said, “Now, try not to swallow. If you do, that spike will jam the needle through the pallet into the back of your throat and into your hypothalamus…” I said, "SAH WHAHH!?" The absolute hardest thing I’ve ever been asked to do, that was! Don't swallow for FOUR minutes as you lay on your back with your mouth agape! Then he repeated the stabs several other times, each for 4 ½ minutes of tortuous NO SWOLLOWING! Then, it was over. The back of my throat was swollen and sore for a week, and that was it.

The result? Well, it improved the snoring, except when I get overweight and overindulge in adult libations. DOH!!………
”Dabo" ©

--------------------
Far better is it to dare to do mighty things; to acheive glorious triumphs, though checkered with failure; than to join the ranks of those poor spirits who neither suffer much nor enjoy much, because they live in that great twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat...
T. Roosevelt

+Quote Post
skip
post Nov 14 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #27

TNO Newbie
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,011

Check in every now and then. Posts are few and far between. Caught a few fish over the summer and have some meat in freezer from a 2 pretty good Georgia bucks. Doing well. Loved the board when there were lots of posts.

+Quote Post
oldmandekle
post Nov 14 2017, 01:40 AM
Post #28

TNO Regular
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,738

Glad to see the posts guys. great pics , still a lot of good times to be had and Hardees serves some good biscuits. It would be fun to get together at the seasons end or anytime for that matter. We could eat some bar b q , show some pictures and have some laughs. The Pig in Callahan has a room we most likely could use What do "yall"
think ? The place could be anywhere I just was saying the Pig. We have time to plan if anybody id interested. .

+Quote Post
Weatherby06
post Nov 14 2017, 02:34 PM
Post #29

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (oldmandekle @ Nov 14 2017, 01:40 AM) *
Glad to see the posts guys. great pics , still a lot of good times to be had and Hardees serves some good biscuits. It would be fun to get together at the seasons end or anytime for that matter. We could eat some bar b q , show some pictures and have some laughs. The Pig in Callahan has a room we most likely could use What do "yall"
think ? The place could be anywhere I just was saying the Pig. We have time to plan if anybody id interested. .

I still remember meeting up with all y'all at the Pig way back when. It was years ago now, but it was the first time I met TNO'ers in real life. Man there was more than 20 of us there that day and many other lunches with the old Nassau Boys with JFJ and crew were a hoot!!! I miss all those guys!!! Shame Nassau WMA is gone as a bunch of us hunted up there

I'm down for a GTG anywhere, we should meet up for sure!!!

Also Skip, glad to see you post up as you were the type of member i was hoping would chime in when i started this thread. Don't be a stranger, post up and it will drive activity!!! Welcome back brother!!!

DABO~~~I need to make some time today to read your post. Thanks for posting one up like that. I miss reading your stuff!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Weatherby06
post Dec 8 2017, 05:24 PM
Post #30

TNO Super Member
Group Icon

Can we reel in another one or two of you??? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
oldmandekle
post Dec 8 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #31

TNO Regular
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,738

Good to see some activity. Keep ut going .I have no news to report. I hope to post a few deer oics before the season's end and maybe another hog or two . Good luck to all, keep us up to date on your deer or hog kills ....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 02:22 AM